Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Star Wars Bounty Hunter by Limited Run Games



From Wikipedia:

Limited Run Games, Inc. is an American video game distributor based in Raleigh, North Carolina and a division of Mighty Rabbit Studios. The company specializes in the release of digital games in physical media, with the games being sold on their website. The company, founded by Douglas Bogart and Josh Fairhurst, was based on the preservation of video games, as well as catering to players who prefer physical discs and cartridges opposed to game downloads.

With a description like that, they sound like guys after my own heart and you would also think I, Mr. Physical Media Snob would be one of their top customers.

However, they do not do games for Xbox which is my main platform (and has been since 2001). They started out with making physical copies of digital only releases of Playstation Vita games, then they went on to Playstation 4, and also recently for the Nintendo Switch. None of which I own myself, so I have not felt the need to order from them. My 8 year old got a Switch for X-mas last year, so there is one I could play if I wanted to. Up until recently there hasn't been anything offered by them I had any interest in. Then they announced they were remaking Star Wars Bounty Hunter for the Playstation 4, this interested me.

I have had Star Wars Bounty Hunter for the Playstation 2, since way back when it was new, I enjoyed it.

Now even though I have no experience buying games from Limited Run, I do know that their games only go up in value, so if I wanted a copy of Bounty Hunter at a reasonable price, I had to get in on the pre-order on opening day. Especially since it was going to be limited to 7,500 copies. I know I have said in a previous Blog that I was not going to get a PS4, but....... Since this is my last console generation, we all know I am eventually going to be getting one. Especially with my love for racing games and wanting to play Gran Turismo sport.

So, I ordered a copy on June 28th, the day the pre-orders opened up and they sold out within 24 hours. It finally came the other day Spetember 9th, and I finally got around to opening it up today. It was $29.99, but after taxes and shipping it came to $38.12.

As I am carrying the package from the mailbox to the house, I hear what sounds like to me a loose disc in the case? But, I also know from watching peoples unboxings on You Tube that Limited run also includes Cards and other misc stuff with their games, so I wasn't too worried about it.


I opened up that bubble mailer, to find a sealed PS4 cased game. No surprise there, but I still hear the rattling, so I figure they must have put the extras in the game case with the game. So I rip off the plastic, open up the case and find the disc to be free and sliding around inside the case.....kind of a little disappointed with that to be honest.


After careful inspection the disc looked fine, Blurays are tough discs.


Here is the "manual" Kind of a waste in my opinion. they could have used a thicker stock of paper had the cover art on one side, and the notice on the other side, instead of a 4 "page" booklet.


I did not however see a collector card or sticker or anything else. Which is fine, as the last thing I need is more stuff sitting around, but I thought it was just a thing they did, but whatever.

Perusing the internet I found that plenty of other people did indeed get a collector card. 😢
Picture courtesy of GameTyrant.com
Who's disc was also loose in their case if you watch their unboxing video

I loaded the game up into my oldest daughters PS4, took 3 tries to get logged into my Playstation account, as I hardly ever play on Playstation these days and forget my password. I was surprised that the install was pretty instantaneous, just like this would have been on the PS2. I was into the game.

That's neat, a picture of a PS2 Fat

And into the game


Played for a little while, got through the first stage and do look forward to finishing it. However I am having the same problem as I had when trying to play Killzone 4, the controls or is it the controller?


Overall I am satisfied with my purchase, but still have lingering feelings of disappointment with my first purchase from Limited Run Games after reading and seeing other people talk them up. The loose disc and no collector card just leaves a question to me, about the quality of future purchases?



No comments:

Post a Comment