Saturday, June 13, 2015

Utah Road Trip Part 1

My daughter was getting married in Logan, UT on Thursday, Google maps shows it to be about a 20 hour drive. We decided to drive to save money on airfare, and so that we would have our own car to use while in Utah.

 We left at 9:00am Tuesday. We had the back seat area set up for our 4 yr old, she had a DVD player to watch strapped to the back of the driver headrest, she had her leap frog hand held (I got at Goodwill for $3.00) and her Leap Frog Leap Pad we got her for Xmas 2 years ago, so I blocked off the left rear window with a towel, so the sun didn't glare on her screens. She also had a tub of toys and books as well.

Along the way we made a few stops for Lunch at Subway, and Dinner at Cracker Barrel. After Dinner we got gas and my GF took over driving duty, we swapped back about 9:00pm and I drove until 1-1:30am. I was tired of driving and was getting uncomfortable, so my GF and I swapped spots, and I tried to nap. I got a little sleep, She had to pull off in Nebraska at a rest area on the side off the freeway around 4:00am since she was drooping her eyelids, and couldn't drive anymore. This was not a full rest area, just a pull over and rest/nap/sleep area, NO toilets.... Our 4yr old did very well on the trip, with very minimal whining, I probably whined more about needing a more comfortable driver seat.

 We got a little sleep and continued on our way again around 6:30am. After stopping for breakfast at Denny's, and road work in Utah, we finally arrived at my daughters around 10:30am Wednesday morning. After the food, gas and bathroom stops, it took roughly 25 hours to drive from Anoka, MN to Logan, UT. There were 2 separate times, when not getting gas, we had to stop at the gas station, just to clean the dead bug guts off of the windshield so we could see, at one point I was slaughtering so may bugs my GF woke and asked it if was storming.

 I was glad to finally be out of the car, our 2012 Impala is a nice car, and is fairly comfortable in daily driving to work and back, etc.. but not so much for a long road trip.

 Here are a couple nice scenery shots of the mountains, Utah is a very beautiful place, and I wouldn't mind living there myself.





We got our Hotel at 2:30, and I took a 3 1/2 hour nap before going to visit with my daughters and grandson. My oldest daughter, her boyfriend and her mom all flew down for the wedding.

It was the first time I was able to meet my grandson in person, he will be two in a month. We had talked and whatnot over Skype in the last 2 years, but in person is so much better. It was awesome, definitely a highlight of the trip, and worth the hard hours in the driver seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment