Sunday, June 21, 2020

Retro Fighters Striker DC Controller for Sega Dreamcast

One of my favorite systems to collect for is the Sega Dreamcast.

Back on 9-9-99 when this system came out, I sadly was not aware of it at the time. When Sega pulled the plug on it less than 2 years later, meant there were plenty of games and accessories to be had in the bargain bins at the stores........I was all about my Sony Playstation, and excited for the upcoming Playstation 2. I was finally able to procure a Pre-Owned Sega Dreamcast back in December 2014. I already had a couple Dreamcast games I had picked up at Goodwill that summer and I was looking forward to playing them, Test Drive 6 and Demolition Racer.


Fast Forward to today where I own 3 Sega Dreamcast Consoles, 2 Black "Sports" editions and a regular white one, along with about 10 games (including a Japanese Import), 5 different color controllers, a fishing rod controller and half a dozen different color VMU's (Virtual Memory Units, which is a fancy name for a Memory Card). I will also be ordering an HDMI cable soon for my Dreamcast(s) as well.

Recently I had found that a company called Retro Fighters were releasing an updated Dreamcast controller. I was familiar with them and their updated "Brawler" controller for the Nintendo 64, I never cared much for the original N64 controller myself. But it appears that now they decided to do the same for the Sega Dreamcast. I knew I had to have one, and promptly pre-ordered one off their website. They finally shipped and I received mine about 2 weeks ago.


And here it is
Looks great with the modern controller styling

and when you compare it to an original Dreamcast controller

 Pretty close color match

 Bottom is much shorter, and the cord is finally the right way round

And still retains the dual VMU slots

Speaking of
With a VMU plugged in

The VMU looks a little funny, but I am sure I will get used to it.

I played some Sega Rally with the new controller, and it definitely feels better, more familiar, in my hands. the thumbstick feels much better than the original one, but that's 20 years of technological progress for ya. Overall it is a great update and addition to my Dreamcast Gaming.


My only real complaint.......I wish it came in Black!





No comments:

Post a Comment