Sunday, August 26, 2018

I saved D.A.R.Y.L.

I was sifting through the DVD's at a Salvation Army I frequent, and I saw this movie spine on the shelf. I was excited, I hadn't seen this movie in probably 30 years.


Then I did what EVERYONE should make sure to do when you see a used Disc based Game, DVD. Blu Ray, Etc. Open the case and verify the correct disc is in there, and take the disc out and check the condition of the playing surface. I opened this one up, and OUCH! It looked like someone had strapped it to their foot, and skated across the floor on it. So, I left it behind.

The next day I was thinking about it and really wanted to watch it, and I decided to hop online and see what a good condition copy sells for. Amazon wants $18.99 Sold copies on eBay anywhere from $15-25.00! Turns out, this DVD is Out of Print. Oh well, Maybe I will happen across a good copy sometime in the future. But, then I remembered that it had a .99 yellow price tag on it, and yellow tags were 50% off this week. Sooooo I went back that night after work and picked it up. I figured for .50 cents, I would give a shot.


After giving the disc a good thorough cleaning, I plugged in my disc resurfacer and ran it through  the resurfacing routine three times. It still looked rough, Lots and Lots of scratches. Oh well, let's see what happens. Then I popped it into my Xbox One and it loaded up to the menu screen just fine. However, I did not have time to watch the movie that night, and left it for the next day.

The next day I couldn't wait to get home and give the movie a watching. And when I did, It played flawlessly! No skipping, no freezing, the closed captioning (yes I watch movies with this on, I have a 7 year old) and everything worked great!


I tried to get a good picture of the scratches, but this is the best one I got after about 35 tries.


Now I really want to see Cloak and Dagger with Dabney Coleman again too.


No comments:

Post a Comment