Monday, October 26, 2015

Update: I'm Alive!



 I haven't posted in 3+ weeks, Wow. You would think since I have not worked since Sept. 30th, I would have plenty of time to post. I have been busy, looking for a job, going to interviews, playing my new Xbox One, Watching Movies and TV shows via Netflix, DVD's and Blu-Rays, and actually writing.

 When I sit down to type these, I generally have a rough idea in my head of what I am going to rant about, share, show, etc... And just start typing. Being that it has been nearly a month, I started typing and realized I had a lot to carry on about, and if I tried to jam it all in one blog, it would have been quite the long blog. So I narrowed it down to one subject, and will sprinkle the rest of the subjects/posts out throughout the rest of the week.

On to Today's Topic:

 I originally started this blog to get myself back into writing. I currently have 2 unfinished writing projects, I haven't touched in several years. The first is titled "Book I will never Finish" on my computer (and backup copy on my flash drive), which is an autobiography I started back in January of 2009, and haven't really touched since mid 09. I plan, if I ever get back to this project, to end it in August of 09.
 The second is presently untitled, and is a Murder Novel, told in the first person, which is the one I have started working on again. I originally started on this one, as a way to vent my frustration, anger and pain I was harboring regarding my second ex-wife. I fucking hated this lying, backstabbing, two faced fucking lying cheating cunt so much, I was letting it affect me for a long time after I left her, that it was a way to work out those feelings, and pain. My plan was to finish it, self publish it, and send her a copy to hurt her. But at some point, I let go of the pain, the anger, and the frustration, which made it hard to write a book about murder, when the passion to commit the crime was gone.

 Now, after some time has passed, I have a lot of expression I want to put into the novel, and I can be more objective and not as nasty and violent as the first draft (which was/is in my head) had been. Which ultimately, will make for a better story.

 Whether or not, I get this published professionally, it is a project I want to finish for myself. Just to be able to prove to myself, that I can do it. I may even self publish the novel, if I finish it, as that is something that is pretty common today. I have been listening to a self publishing podcast, to get a little insight and what not into helping me write a better book. There are people who make a living with this. However, it is mainly electronically.

 I am absolutely, positively NOT a fan of "e-books", and will never buy one myself. I have remained firm that I will never own a Kindle, Nook, etc.. or read from one. There is nothing like a physical copy of a book in your hand. In my opinion, two of the best smells in the world are New book smell, and Old book smell. A paperback book is convenient to carry with you, where as an electronic device is not. You don't ever need to charge a real book.

 Unfortunately (to me), the e-book market is huge, and a lot of people read them regularly, while as a reader myself, I find this revolting. But as an aspiring author, is something I would need to consider if I were to actually publish a novel. Would I want to alienate a large market from reading my novel? Would I want to turn down that stream of revenue? I would like to think that if it were good enough, that people would buy a physical copy. But there are probably plenty of people completely opposite of me, who will only buy e-books.

 At present that line of thinking is far in my future, we will see how long I continue to write, or if I even finish. It is hard to dedicate time to just sit down and write, you have to be in a creative mood. Most of the time I get the inspiration when I am just driving somewhere, or sitting somewhere no where near my computer, so I try to store what I thought of in my head for later dissemination, but a lot of the time, I forget, maybe I should start carrying a pad and pen. Sometimes I have started writing, wrote 2 paragraphs and stopped. Other times I have sat down and wrote an entire chapter.

Well, enough rambling, I see I carried on even with this small topic. If I finish this novel great, a personal goal for myself. If I were to actually get it published, either professionally of via the self publishing route, I will of course keep all of you, my loyal blog readers posted.

If I were to actually sell enough to make a comfortable living....


No comments:

Post a Comment