Saturday, January 20, 2018

Destruction Derby 64

One of my favorite game series is Destruction Derby from the Original PlayStation, with my favorite being Destruction Derby 2. I have never played the Nintendo 64 edition of the game, it has been on my want list for awhile, and I was finally able to score me a copy.


I found myself with a little virtual cash in my Pay pal account, and was perusing eBay one night  looking for something cheap to buy. Found a seller, which turned out to be a pawn shop selling a copy for 9.99 or best offer, with 2.80 shipping. The only picture was of the front of the cartridge, it was a little dirty and it had a sticker all the way across the front of the cart, and label. The game usually sells for 15-25 bucks, depending, but with the condition, I decided to shoot them an offer of 6.20. The seller accepted my offer the next morning, so total I paid 9.00 even. It arrived in 4 days, and here it is:

Front

Rear, Eww a few more issues to try and clean up.

Bottom


First things first, Need to plug it into the N64 to make sure ot works, before trying to clean it all up. But after looking at the bottom, there was no way I was sticking that into the console without cleaning it first.

Sorry about the flash, didn't realize the picture came out this bad, and I had already tossed out the Q-tips. As you can see, I had to use both sides of 2 Q-tips to clean it. Then I plugged it into the N64,, and nothing. I put in another 64 game to make sure I was on the right input on the TV and that the console was working fine, and it fired right up. Tried Destruction Derby again, and again nothing. I ended up taking the cart apart, and completely cleaning the board thoroughly, put it back together, plugged it the console and:

Boom!

Now it was time to tackle cleaning up the cartridge. And here is the result:

A color loss and tearing, but overall not too bad. Better than the big label,

Better then when I got it, but....

Before and Afters
Front

Rear

Bottom

I did however have an extra N64 game with a good back, took a minute or so to swap them over,


Not too bad, after a little work. I look forward to playing and checking this game out. I may try and record some gameplay for my You Tube channel, if I do I will update this blog with the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment