Saturday, May 16, 2015

On A Pale Horse


 I am an Avid Reader, I have been reading regularly since I was 7-8 Years Old. I always have a book with me where ever I go, That is why I prefer paperbacks, I can shove them in my back pocket, glove box or map pouch in the car, front flap on my lunch bag so I can read during lunchtime at work.I am also a fast reader, I used to get asked at my old job "how many books do you read in a week?" Because they would always see me with different books.

 E-Books, Fuck Those! I personally have absolutely NO interest, desire, compulsion or curiosity to "Read" an E-Book. Not on a Kindle, Not on a Nook, or a Computer Monitor. There is nothing like the feeling of holding a book in your hands, turning the pages, hearing the noise they make. 2 of the best smells in the world are New book smell, and old book smell. E-Books just are not for me, I know there are people out there who love them, but I avoid them myself. But Dave they say, you can carry 1, 3, 5, 10 or 20 books on one of these, it is convenient. Yeah, why do you think BOOK Bags were invented. There were Star Wars stories that were "E-Book" only releases, however, I didn't read them until they were added to paperback reprints of other Star Wars novels. 

 I generally will be found reading something either from the Forgotten Realms, or Star Wars universes, But, there are plenty of other misc books I read as well. The Ravenloft Series of Horror Novels is very, very good as well, and contains another of my absolute favorite books. I also recently read a book about a Vietnam Soldier unit, called Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers that was very good. 

 A few of my favorite authors are:

 Karen Traviss: She wrote the Gears of War books and one of the best Star Wars series, Republic Commando.

 Simon R Green: I really enjoy his Deathstalker and Something from the Nightside Series.

 R.A. Salvatore: Whenever One of his Forgotten Realms books come out, I am at the book store that day, picking up a copy. 

Terry Brooks: His Magic Kingdom of Landover Series is awesome, Another series both My Daughter and I have read several times. I have read a few of his other books, like his Shannanara series, but they just aren't (to me) as good as his tales in the Kingdom of Landover

 Piers Anthony: One of my absolute favorite authors hands down. This man has written so many great stories, and series, I have many, many of his books. A few to note; 

 Bio of a Space Tyrant series: I remember buying the first book in this series when I lived in California back in the 80's, I have ended up reading this series 4-5 times. (Yep I am one of those nerds who loves re-reads books), over the last 30 years.

 Xanth series: I believe these are one of the first Piers Anthony novels I read. I remember the school library copies.

 Mode series: Another Great, and Intriguing Series

 Misc Single Novels: Hard Sell, Firefly, Killobyte and Total Recall (The original Schwarzenegger classic) a Novelization of one of my favorite movies. These are just a few off the top of my head, I am sure there are more.

 Incarnations of Immortality: is the name of an eight-book fantasy series by Piers Anthony. The first seven books each focus on one of seven supernatural "offices" (DeathTimeFateWarNatureEvil and Good) in a fictional reality and history parallel to ours, with the exception that society has advanced both magic and modern technology. The series covers the adventures and struggles of a group of humans, called "Incarnations", who hold these supernatural positions for a certain time.

The above paragraph was "Borrowed" from Wikipedia

This in a Incredible series, I will admit, I have not read the 8th book in the series, it did not come out until 2007 so has me a little nervous as to how it will tie in to the rest, which were written between 1983 & 1990.The first of which is my absolute favorite book, hands down, which I am going to talk a little about below.

On A Pale Horse


The cover says it all (above the authors name) This truly is An Extrodinary Novel, with a story that sucks you in, keeps your interest throughout and makes you sad once it is over, that it is over. I don't wanna spoil it for anyone who has not read it, aside from the picture of the rear cover, and if you are a reader, you should. I have read many, many books over the years, but found when pushed that this is my favorite. I highly recommend both this book, and the entire series (as well as other novels by Mr. Anthony) to anyone who enjoys Science Fiction or Fantasy novels.

** EDITED 5/21 **  I originally had the Shannanara series accredited to R.A. Salvatore, This series was written by Terry Brooks, who wrote an amazing series I added above. I originally had intended to have Mr Brooks in there, and must have deleted something at some point, an did not notice. I somehow screwed up something in the original posting, and proof read.

I apologize, I don't like making mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment